- The prize is for a THRILLER SHORT STORY in which no woman is beaten, stalked, sexually exploited, raped or murdered.
- Thriller genres can include crime, mystery, historical, sci-fi, cyber, comedy, psychological, spy, suspense, legal, political, satirical and disaster, etc. We are not at this time looking for horror or fantasy stories.
- For the purposes of this Prize, ‘murder’ does not include incidents where people in general or specific groups of people are the targets or victims, e.g. war, terrorist attacks, hostage situations, sabotage.
- Where there is any ambiguity, the deciding factor will be whether a female character was targeted or died because she was a woman.
- The competition is open to authors of any nationality.
- Entries should be between 500 and 3,500 words, double spaced, 12 point.
- Submissions must be unpublished. Should your entry be accepted for publication elsewhere before the winner/s are announced, you must inform us by email.
- Entries must be in English. Translations are welcome.
- Entries are strongly encouraged from BAME and working-class writers or those from other under-represented groups.
- Shortlisted authors will be notified by 15th October 2021.
- The shortlist will be announced on 1st November 2021.
- The winner will be announced on 25th November 2021.
How to submit
- Click on the Enter Short Story Prize button below and follow the instructions.
- The full story should be cut and pasted into your entry email.
- By submitting work for the Prize you are agreeing that ALL criteria have been met and you have accepted these terms and conditions.
- You are also agreeing that we may contact you and add your name to our database to keep you informed about the Prize. Your details will never be shared or sold to third parties.
- Any entry failing to meet the criteria will be disqualified.
- Only one entry per person, however you are welcome to also enter the Flash Fiction Prize.